The Career & Technical Education (CTE) Programs section is responsible for developing and maintaining educational programs that prepare individuals for occupations important to Florida’s economic development. Each program is aligned to a career cluster and is detailed in curriculum frameworks. With partners from education, business and industry, and trade associations, the curriculum frameworks include program standards that are both academically integrated and responsive to business and industry.
What is Career and Technical Education?
CTE is an educational model that aligns secondary and postsecondary education to labor market demand, and provides scholars with the technical, academic and employability knowledge and skills they need for success. Put simply, CTE prepares scholars for careers of their choice.
What is the Purpose of Career and Technical Education?
- Educate students for a range of career options
- Fulfill employer needs in high-skill, high-wage, high-demand areas
- Prepare students to be college- and career-ready by providing core academic skills, employability skills and technical, job specific skills
- Help students identify and prepare for careers that they have always wanted or perhaps never even realized were available to them
- Ensure a dynamic workforce by fully developing every student’s career and academic potential
- Provide applied learning opportunities that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general employability skills, technical skills, occupation-specific skills, and knowledge of all aspects of an industry, including entrepreneurship of an individual
- CTE leads to few dropouts
- CTE creates personalized pathways to success
- CTE integrates business and industry perspectives
- CTE trains students for high-growth industries
- CTE introduces students to the world of work
- CTE closes the skills gap
- CTE allows professionals to advance
- CTE represents a positive net investment for society
- There is public demand for CTE