Controlled Open Enrollment Procedures for Hendry County
Open enrollment pursuant to Board Policy 5121, Controlled Open Enrollment
School attendance zones permit parents to enroll their children in a school other than the one to which they have been assigned. The choice must be made each year during the months of February and March. Requests will be processed by the lottery system unless the student meets any of the priority criteria. If priority criteria is met, requests will be processed in the order in which they were received. The change will become effective at the start of the NEXT school year. Parents or guardians requesting a student reassignment at any time other than February or March, must complete and submit the Hardship Application in addition to the Controlled Open Enrollment Packet. The Hardship Application will then be reviewed by the District Hardship Committee within 30 calendar days. Please note, transportation is not provided for students granted reassignment in the Labelle school zones. Clewiston students granted reassignment may be provided transportation because the schools are not zoned based on the student's home address.
For more information on Controlled Open Enrollment, please call or email
Hendry County Public Schools
ENROLLMENT FOR MONTHS OTHER THAN FEBRUARY/MARCH
- School attendance zones permit parents to enroll their children in a school other than the one to which they have been assigned. The choice must be made each year during the months of February/March and will become effective at the start of the next school year.
- Parents or guardians requesting a student reassignment at any time other than in February/March must complete a Hardship Application for submission to the District Hardship Committee.
- Parents new to the County who missed the February/March Open Enrollment period and choose an out-of-zone school may apply and have their application considered pursuant to the Hardship Application process.
- No child will be reassigned to a school that is at capacity.
- Parents may obtain a Hardship Application and the Controlled Open Enrollment Application from the District website, the District Registrar or the Superintendent’s office.
- The Hardship Application for Student Reassignment along with the Controlled Open Enrollment Application must be submitted to the Clewiston Registrar or the Director of Elementary via the Superintendent's office for review by the Hardship Committee.
- Applicants who are approved through the Hardship Application process will be eligible to start at the new school at the beginning of the next grading period.
FEBRUARY/MARCH CONTROLLED OPEN ENROLLMENT
- During the February/March Controlled Open Enrollment period, any child of school age who resides in Hendry County may apply to attend a school outside of his/her assigned attendance zone as long as that school is not at capacity for enrollment.
- The Controlled Open Enrollment packet must be submitted to the Clewiston registrar or the Director of Elementary via the Superintendent’s office in Labelle.
- A random lottery, to be conducted during the first two weeks of April, will be used in situations where there are more requests than available seats at a particular school.
- Out-of-County students may not supplant In-County students at any point in the Controlled Open Enrollment process.
Students residing within Hendry County, subject to the policies and procedures of the School Board, may attend any school within the District under the procedures outlined in the Controlled Open Enrollment Process. The School District shall have full and complete authority in the matter of the assignment and placement of students in educational programs. Revocation may occur due to the applicant's failure to disclose information, attendance, or if the reassignment is no longer needed.