Reading Scholarship Accounts Program
In 2018, Florida became the first state to offer an education savings account program for students enrolled in public schools. The Reading Scholarship, administered by Step Up For Students, was created to help public school students in third through fifth grade who struggle with reading. The program offers parents access to education savings accounts, worth $500 each, to pay for tuition and fees related to part-time tutoring, summer and after-school literacy programs, instructional materials and curriculum related to reading or literacy.
Who is Eligible?
Third- through fifth-grade public school students who scored a 1 or 2 on the third or fourth grade English Language Arts section of the Florida Standards Assessment in the prior year.
Students who are classified as English Language Learners, and who are enrolled in a program or receiving services that are specifically designed to meet the instructional needs of English Language Learner students, will receive priority.
What Is It?
- The scholarships are worth $500 each and can be used for reimbursement for the following:
- Tuition and fees for part-time tutoring provided by a person who holds a valid Florida educator’s certificate, a baccalaureate or graduate degree in the subject area (Reading, Elementary Education,or English Education), an adjunct teaching certificate, or has demonstrated mastery of the subject area knowledge.
- Fees for summer education programs designed to improve reading or literacy skills.
- Fees for after-school education programs designed to improve reading or literacy skills.
- Instructional materials and curriculum related to reading or literacy.
- Program funds are limited and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
How Do I Apply?
Visit StepUpForStudents.org for the latest information.
Reading Scholarship Questions?
Scholarship Hotline: 877-735-7837
Step Up Reading Scholarship K-12
Step Up For Students is a state-approved nonprofit scholarship funding organization that helps administer four scholarships for Florida schoolchildren: the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program (FTC) for lower to middle income families, the Family Empowerment Scholarship (FES) for lower to middle income families and students with unique abilities (formerly Gardiner), the Hope Scholarship for public school students who are bullied or victims of violence and the Reading Scholarship Accounts for public school students in third through fifth grade who struggle with reading.